Over the past forty years, American Durafilm Co., Inc. has developed the art of thermoforming thermoplastic Teflon®, Tefzel®, and Aclar® film to offer an innovative solution to some of the design problems encountered in many industries. Because conventional shapes (flat film, sheets, tubing, extruded profiles, die-cut parts, etc.) are often too expensive and cumbersome for specific design applications, thermoformed parts become attractive cost-effective alternatives to the engineer who may desire the properties of Teflon ® or our other high performance thermoplastic materials.
Advantages of Thermoforming
Through thermoforming, Teflon® FEP, Teflon® PFA and Tefzel® film can be formed into three-dimensional shapes to take advantage of one or more of the above unique properties. Flat films with thicknesses of .002 ” to .020″ have been successfully formed for end uses in the following industries: lighting, pharmaceutical, chemical, aerospace, molding, electronics… and many others.
- Electrical insulating caps and sleeves
- Moisture barrier covers and inserts
- Chemically inert protective coverings
- Withstands high temp applications up to 500°F (260°C)
- Suitable for cryogenic use -400°F(-240°C)
- Autoclave resistance
- Visually clear and provides a high transmittance of UV light
- Virtually indestructible to impact and tearing
- No electrical tracking, non-wetting, and non-charring
- Anti-stick and low frictional properties
- Easily cleaned and reused
- Inert for non-contaminating samples
- Low permeability to liquids, gases, moisture and organic vapors
- Weather resistant
- Chemically inert and solvent resistant to virtually all chemicals (except molten alkali metals, gaseous fluorine, complex halogenated compounds at elevated pressure and temperature)
Shapes can be formed on molds up to 20″ x 30″ with a 12″ draw. Film thicknesses of .002” to .020” are possible for forming.
Our on-site machine shop capabilities allow us to produce rapid prototype and production molds. Read More →